Direct outreach is an essential part of increasing victim identification. The palm-sized cards included in this toolkit may be distributed to victims, and the questions listed are tailored by the industry in which victims are forced to labor or sell sex, such as food establishments, cantinas, illicit massage establishments, and on the streets.
The cards have already been translated into 6 different languages, and the original, editable InDesign files are included, as well as detailed printing instructions. If you wish to modify the questions listed on each set of cards, the toolkit includes a comprehensive question bank developed by the City of Houston and its partners acknowledged below.
The double-sided, perforated palm-sized cards offered here list intake-style questions or statements to help victims of human trafficking self-identify. The National Human Trafficking Resource Center’s hotline number is also provided if victims wish to call for assistance. Individual sets of cards are tailored to the specific industries in which victims are forced to labor or sell sex.
To reach international victims of trafficking, the cards are available in 6 different languages. All translations were provided by the City of Houston’s iSpeak Houston program, and have undergone secondary review by a translation proofreading committee. Special attention was paid to ensuring that the language used reflects a 3rd grade reading level in order for the cards to be accessible and understandable by all.
Original InDesign files are included for you to modify the cards to fit your organization’s needs and audience. If you also wish to change any of the questions listed on each set of cards, or to change the cards entirely, a comprehensive question bank for victims is included. Space is included on cards for you to insert your organizations’ logo. To simplify the printing process, you can simply refer to the detailed printing instructions provided.
- Cards for Cantinas (PDF and InDesign) – in English, Spanish, Arabic, Mandarin, Urdu, and Vietnamese
- Cards for Food Establishments (PDF and InDesign) – in English, Spanish, Arabic, Mandarin, Urdu, and Vietnamese
- Cards for Illicit Massage Establishments (PDF and InDesign) – in English, Spanish, Korean, Mandarin, Vietnamese, and Thai
- Cards for Street Outreach (PDF and inDesign) – English, Spanish, Arabic, Mandarin, Urdu, and Vietnamese
- Question Bank for Palm-Sized Cards (PDF)
- Printing Instructions for Palm-Sized Cards (PDF)
Guidelines for Responsible Use
Use the Palm-Sized Cards for Direct Outreach Toolkit in a responsible fashion by following the below guidelines:
- We respectfully ask that you do not represent yourself as a City of Houston employee or member of the Houston Area Council on Human Trafficking when using the Toolkit’s information and resources.
- Know the already existing protocols and operating procedures in place in your area when someone calls the hotline — for example, what agencies and organizations, if any, are tapped to lead follow-up efforts.
- Develop and put in place protocols in case someone you give the card to asks for and requires immediate assistance. This may involve, but is not limited to, the following:
- Allowing them to use your cellphone to call the hotline;
- Providing 24/7 access to a case manager who specializes in victim services; and
- Ensuring that local law enforcement agencies have a process already in place to remove victims, notify a service provider, and place victims in temporary housing until a provider arrives
- Bottom line: relationships, networks, and contacts need to be built and developed for proper use of the cards.
- Tailor the card to best meet the needs of your target audience, but always feature the National Human Trafficking Resource Center’s hotline number.
- Add your organization’s logo.